Thursday, May 31, 2007

Response to J.B.'s Post on Fraternity

As I was reading J.B.’s post on fraternity, I found myself agreeing with many of the points he made. However, there was one point with which I disagreed, and that was that fraternity alone does not set moral standards. I feel that being a part of a group causes individuals to set their own personal standards and makes those people strive to be better. Different groups such as sports teams, performance groups, sororities and fraternities, etc., emphasize the importance of striving for excellence. I am personally involved in a campus sorority (Delta Gamma), and our main goals in terms of personal achievement are character, education and scholarship, interests and talent, activities and honors, and personal development. By setting these fine standards, the sorority highlights the significance of personal achievement and accomplishment, and it is understood that as a group, we push each other to be better human beings. I feel that this happens in most organized non-religious groups. While there are no set rules stating what specifically is “sinful” and what is not, as there are in most organized religions, the assumption of the group is that each individual will use his or her own judgment to decipher between right and wrong.

No comments: